It’s Sunday! For me, that means it’s time to deep clean the oven. This was sparked when friends came over on Thanksgiving to cook their own chicken in which they had already seasoned and prepared beforehand. Hours before they came I was doing my own pie baking and realized HOW DIRTY THE OVEN WAS. I mean, look at it:
I felt so embarrassed. :*|
Being that I’m very DIY-centric, I searched and searched the web until I found a decent DIY oven cleaner with pictures to prove it. Now, I’m sharing it with you all! Now, the hands-on part of this process is pretty short compared to the hands-off part. A lot of it is waiting for the cleaner to set in.
To get started you will need the following ingredients that you may already have in your home:
You will want to get it into a bowl and it will form a foamy thickish goo.
Remove your oven racks and give your oven a pre-goo wipe down. Just to rid it of loose crumbs and lightly moisten the walls.
Then get the cleaning goo all over the oven.
Close it up and let it sit overnight. The next day open it up and I used a spray bottle to mist some water all over the surface, just to get it ready for some scrubbing 🙂
I recommend first using a sponge to lightly scrub all over, kinda to get the dirt loosened up. It would also be useful to have a bowl with warm water to clean the sponge off as you wipe down the surfaces.
After giving the oven a quick wipe down with warm water and sponge, I found it much easier to just grab a whole roll of paper towels and just begin wiping the oven down to remove visible traces of the cleaner.
Once you got that down, grab the spray bottle with water and spray the surfaces. You may notice some soap is left behind. Try and get as much as you can off.
Look at how beautiful that looks :’)
Last thing you want to do is set your oven to self-clean and let it go (maybe watch some Sex and the City or some other time passing activity).
Once Self-Clean is done, let it cool own for an hour and give it one last wipe down.
Adapted from PopSugar.
1/4 cup liquid dish soap
1/2 cup baking soda
1/4 cup hydrogen peroxide
5-10 drops of lemon essential oil
1 tablespoon vinegar
1. Gather your materials. Remove your oven racks and give the oven surfaces a quick wipe down with a paper towel rinsed with warm water. Remove any loose bits or crumbs that may be sitting at the bottom.
2. Mix the cleaner together. Begin coating your oven with the cleaner. Avoid the heating elements if possible. Just be sure to give them a final wipe down after getting the cleaner on.
3. Let the cleaner sit in overnight. Using a spray bottle and lightly mist the oven to soften up the cleaner.
4. Get your paper towels and begin wiping down the surfaces, you will need a lot of paper towels. 🙂
5. Once all wiping is done, lightly mist the oven again with water to make sure the soap isn’t just sitting there, invisible. 🙂
6. Run the self-clean function on your oven. When the cycle is over let the oven cool for additional 2-3 hours.
7. Give a final wipe down to your oven and you are all set!
Keywords: diy, cleaner, natural, chemical free, grease cutting cleaner